Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Foreigner

Last Sunday, I met my ex-classmate from learn Dutch in here. He is come from India and he is married with Netherlands woman and have 1 daughter, 2 years old. His name is Hars.

He dressed so neat, black suit with tie. This was our conversation.

me : Wow, you dress sooo....neat. Are you going to work.
Hars : Yes, i have a job now.
me : That is great. I am happy for you.
Hars : What about you?
me : No. I am still jobless.
Hars : Don't give up. Ok!
me : Thanks.
Hars : We are foreigner in this country. We just have to work 3 times or more harder than citizen in here. I put my CV via internet in soooo many site until i got this job.
me : You are lucky. But is is so far from here.
Hars : Yes, it is. Far?? At least i got paid very well. (for info, 1 way = he has to take a bus and then 2 times train).

I was graduated from university majoring accounting. I had 10 years experience at Finance Accounting department (5 years as accounting staff and another 5 years as Finance Accounting Section Head). In here, every time i am looking job at the office even if as staff. They don't accept me. The reason because my Dutch still not fluent, they don't accept my university's diploma (I must go to school again in here, if i want to work at the office).

It is so hard to accept that sometimes :((

Oh, a year ago I worked as cleaning service in small motel in Texel (Texel is a small island). From my house to the motel, took me 2 hours on the way (2 times buses and boat). So, total 4 hours only on the way. I worked only Saturday and Sunday, because at that day my hubby was at home.

Why I accepted this job? I was section head (at my country) and now cleaning service in here :D Because i want to work anything to support myself, my hubby and my family in my country.

You know what i got!!! I got fired after 5 days worked. Why??? Because she (the boss) said i was too weak and to slowly for this job. She didn't give me a chance to learn and adaptation. From made finance report and balance sheet to change bed sheets, cleaning toilet and bathroom. She just not give me any chance :((

My life is so hard as foreigner :D

JO-N February 5, 2008 at 8:41 AM

No time to read your post now, Jul. Rushing for CNY. Going down south. So, til then,

Happy chinese new year to you and your family.

Jeanne February 5, 2008 at 9:25 AM

don't think anymore about the job in that hotel... they have no respect to us. i was also always bad mood when i came home from that hotel.... enjoy your life now :)

Trinity February 5, 2008 at 12:12 PM

wwwooowwwww... hard time as a foreigner indeed...no maid there as well... hahaha... ups.. I am not supposed to laugh here.. sorry..

hugggsss... hihihihi.. sorry again..

Juliana RW February 5, 2008 at 12:42 PM

Jo-n : Hi...happy CNY.

Jeanne : Just still irritate if i remember those experience :D

Trinity : I am really sad when you laugh at me like that, Trin ^____^;;

Lolli February 5, 2008 at 2:37 PM

same here in Luxembourg you must fluent in their languages then you can have a job, oh boy 3 languages here... Luxembourgish, French and German. Im soo tired and lazy to continue my study in 3 languages, so far i can talk and understand a bit. Before i want to work but now busy me as a wife of sort. :) Anyway I enjoy my life too as a mom of twins.

Jul, sorry if i cant visit here often as a new mommy always busy :)

Take care my friend!

Amel's Realm February 5, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Yeah, life isn't easy being a foreigner. That's why I'm REALLY happy to be able to get on this full-time course since I know I need to learn at least conversational Finnish before I can get a job here.

But Hars is right. NEVER GIVE UP, Jul. When God opens one door, NOBODY (no human) can close it.

A friend of mine got a job in Holland after being unemployed for 2 years (if I'm not mistaken) after she took a one-year Dutch course. She got a job in an international company in Holland, so it doesn't matter even if her Dutch isn't too fluent. So just take it easy. When God's time arrives, YOU WILL be able to get a job later on...or perhaps go to school again to learn more Dutch before getting it.

Besides, you still want to take care of Jason full-time, right? So just enjoy your time being a mother now until it's time for you to get back to work. ;-D

Juliana RW February 5, 2008 at 3:20 PM

Lolli, i understand if you are busy. I have 1 son already keep myself busy what about twins hi hi hi

Amel, thanks for ur support. I do enjoy my time as full time mother. Jason is everything for us. Just sometimes i miss my time when i still work hi hi hi hi...

Mandy February 5, 2008 at 4:36 PM

Don't give up! You have the ight attitude... going through hard times only makes us stronger!

Juliana RW February 5, 2008 at 4:48 PM

Mandy : thanks for ur support :D

Mandy February 5, 2008 at 4:49 PM

By the way thanks for tagging me, I blogged my love and hates on my page just now!

nyumix February 5, 2008 at 7:28 PM

Hi my friend, you were better than me that you can still speak Dutch. I don't speak at all. So I wonder if I can try to find job here. Even to do grocery sometimes already hard for me.. :)

Sweetiepie February 6, 2008 at 4:14 AM

My husband and I had the same problem here too.Before when my husband self employed as a butcher and me a hotel manager.Ended up as a cleaner here.Eventhough we speak english but they seem don't want to hire a PR.Like your friend said we have to work more than the citizen.I work as a cleaner with my hubby before now he work with alone.Don't give up if you want to work just try what ever job.

Juliana RW February 6, 2008 at 12:29 PM

Mandy : I will check after this :D

Nyumix : Did you go to ROC school to learn Dutch before??

Sweetiepie : thanks...